I am pleased to announce that the opinion piece I authored for the AMS Notices is now available online. I wrote it specifically for academics in mathematics, yet I believe the need to align metrics of merit with institutional mission and values applies to all disciplines (and all institutions.)
I share it with you now because:
- This was probably the hardest thing I have ever written;
- Work on this piece has made previous appearances in my blog.
- January 16 Day 679: Writers Block
- March 22 Day 744: Addressing Criticisms
- March 27 Day 749: Slow Convergence
- March 28 Day 750: Success!!! (where I promised to share when it was available);
- and I hope you will read it.
Be honest, does your institution (and the people making decisions therein) reward those who are supporting its mission, enacting its values, and striving for its vision? If your answer is yes, consider yourself fortunate. If your answer is no, you are not alone.
And who is going to help create change, if that work is not recognized or valued in a genuine way?
One thought on “July 24 Day 868: Your Opinions May Vary”